prelim (magazine cover)

I have been set the task to make a magazine on any topic that I choose, this magazine that I have made is based on sports, I have taken a photo of someone that is holding a baseball bat and I have also included two other images, one of them is a football goal and the other is a golfer with the ball at his feet. Then I applied the tile at the top of the cover as a masthead, then I applied a bar code at the bottom on the right of the cover, then I applied a sneak preview of the contents page at the bottom as a strap line, then I finally applied the price, the ‘Goal!’ text and the competition onto the cover.

The conventions that my magazine follows are: sports, hobbies and sports equipment, all of these points are unisex, this means that it is aimed at both sexes and can also be aimed at all ages from at least 3 years of age to people who are in their 80’s, this is because sports are for anyone, people can play them at any age and any sex. This means that the magazine that I have made will attract everyone. I have followed the rules of a magazine convention by applying a bar code and putting it on the bottom right of the cover, I have included a masthead, I have included some pictures on the cover that are related to the subject, I have included the price of the magazine, i have stuck to the three colours palette, I have included a competition, I have applied a strap line at the bottom of the page with some of the contents page in the text and finally I have made the overall thing look professional.

I have not broken any of the conventions in the magazine cover. But I did break a few of them on the draft of the cover which I have fixed and they are: the bar code was in the wrong place, there was not title for the magazine, and no colours were suggested (drawn in or written down).

I have used a simple yet effective colour palette; this is by using only three different colours on the whole of the front cover and the colours that I have used are: Red, Blue and White. All of these colours are used to help draw in all of the people that are obsessed with sports, I have used a blue for the boys / men and a red for the girls / ladies. I have used the colour blue to attract all of the boys because it is a very masculine colour and it is associated with boys the most, i then use the colour red to attract the girls because it is a colour that boys and girls are both associated with, but it is more of a feminine colour (I did not choose the most feminine that is pink because it did not fit in as well with the colour blue), I have also used red because it looks better with blue and it is also associated with anger / contact / danger and so on... most of the associations with red are mainly associated with sports so it seemed the best colour to use. Finally I have chosen the colour white because it is a neutral colour that will attract all of the different age groups and also suggests that the magazine will be sensible with all of the sports and the news.

This magazine will convince and persuade the readers to go out and play all of the sports that are in the magazine such as: cricket, tennis, football and so on... if they read about all of the sports that will be in the magazine then that will encourage them to go out and start playing them sports. Then the magazine will tell them all about the sports and what the rules of the sports are.
The magazine will appeal to both new and regular readers because the cover looks interesting and fun, this will then attract the new readers to look at the magazine and then they will look inside to read what it is about, this will then make them want to read the magazines, also it will appeal to the regular readers because the appearance of the magazine cover looks professional and it will encourage them to read my magazine.

The magazine that I have produced will be circulated once every week, this will give the readers more time to read all of the articles whilst it is still in date and I will apply the date of the magazine on the front cover so it is easy for the reader to know whether it is an old magazine or the new one out.


Posted on Friday 9 October 2009 / Filed under

Leave a Reply



Followers